In accordance with the National Biosafety Management Agency Act, 2015, requiring public display of any Biosafety application, for permit to intentionally release genetically modified organisms (GMOs), for comments, the National Biosafety Management Agency (NBMA) hereby announces a twenty-one (21) working day display of an application dossier for the confined field trial (CFT) of genetically modified cassava. The display, with effect from 27th July, 2017 to 24th August, 2017, is to enable the public make input that would facilitate informed decision on the application.
- Description of the proposed CFT
The confined field trial is for the purpose of:
- Reducing starch breakdown in the storage roots of cassava after pruning the shoots prior to harvest;
- Obtaining storage roots with the lower post-harvest physiological degradation without loss of nutritious starch
The construct transgenic AMY3 RNAi is having a phytozome gene driven by Solanumtuberosum patatin promoter that confers silencing to storage tissues which will reduce starch breakdown in the root organs.
- Display Centers are:
- National Biosafety Management Agency, Umaru Musa Yar’adua Way, Abuja
- International Institute for tropical Agriculture (IITA), Oyo Road, Ibadan, Oyo State
- National Root Crops Research Institute, Umudike, Abia State
- Forestry Research Institute of Nigeria (FRIN) Ibadan, Oyo State
- Website of the National Biosafety Management Agency, nbma.gov.ng
- Display duration
Date: 27th July, 2017 – 24th August, 2017
Time: 8:00am – 4:00 pm
ALL COMMENTS SHOULD BE FORWARDED TO THE DIRECTOR GENERAL, NATIONAL BIOSAFETY MANAGEMENT AGENCY, NATIONAL PARKS SEVICES UMARU MUSA YAR’ADUA EXPRESSWAY, AIRPORT ROAD, ABUJA.
E-mail : email@example.com
Director General/ Chief Executive Officer NBMA